Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Rainbow Cookies


On Tuesday, we made rainbow cookies. We'd been having a lot of rain.

These are pretty easy and frankly, I changed what we were doing half way through and it turned out just fine.

Make a sugar-cookie dough. I tried a new one for cream cheese sugar cookies and in typical Stacey style, did not read the entire recipe until I was almost done. Chill dough for 8 hours or overnight? Not going to happen. I popped it into the freezer while we had lunch.

Divide the dough into zip-lock bags.


Add a bit of food coloring to each and tell the kids to squish them until colored. Be careful of over exuberant children who pop open the seal on the bags!


Now, at this point, I planned to have everyone make a long snake with their color and then form mini-rainbows, but the dough was too soft - see note about reading the recipe above. So instead, we squeezed out each color, tapped it out into a flat line and kept adding the colors all in a row until we had a rainbow rectangle.


Then, I cut long strips with a pizza wheel and using an off-set spatula, transferred them to a cookie sheet. The kids brushed the tops with egg white and water (I skipped this step on the next batch).


When baked, they looked like this! Pretty cute and very tasty!

7 comments:

  1. ooh, these sound great! Will have to have a go too! Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun and colorful!! My girls would love these -- am adding to our list of fun new projects to try this summer break! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look yummy! We'll have to try it, thanks for sharing :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! I'll be trying this with the young chefs in my weekly playdate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just to let you know... we have a batch in the oven! they look BEAUTIFUL. 2 yrs old is SOOOO excited he went for lunchtime nap without the usual fuss!!!! Fab idea.

    Will do a post on http://redtedart.wordpress.com and link in with you.. :-)

    Thank you

    M x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this and will use it in my home daycare this year . Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete