Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Lemony Goodness

I made a lemon pound cake for the ward Christmas party on Sunday. It must have been a hit as I have had three people ask me for the recipe! I checked on line to see if anyone had typed it out already so I would not have to and behold, others have discovered my pound cake recipe! Here is another link. The only problem is they adapted the recipe so it is a bit different.
The recipe is taken from one of my favorite cookbooks "Luscious Lemon Desserts" by Lori Longbotham. My Sophie helper-faerie brushed the glaze on the cake!

Here is the original:
3 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temp.
2 1/4 c. sugar
6 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
2 T. lemon zest (this is more than the recipe, but it is what I used - 4 large lemons. 4 for zest and 2 for juice)
1 t. vanilla
1t. lemon extract
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice

Heat over to 300. Butter and flour a 12 cup bundt pan. My pan is not 12 cup and it worked just fine. Sift flour, salt and baking powder twice. Beat butter unitl light and fluffy, gradually add 1 3/4 cups of sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Reduce to low and alternate the dry mixture and the milk. Add 1 T (or a bit more) of zest, the lemon extract and the vanilla. Pour in pan, smooth top. Bake for 1 1/2 hours until knife comes out clean. cool on rack for 10 minutes and then invert. Bring 1/2 cup sugar, lemon juice and 1 T. zest to a boil in a saucepan until sugar dissolves. Brush this mixture all over the hot cake.

3 comments:

  1. Lemon is my absolute most favorite flavor - I gotta make this cake - my mouth is watering just looking at the pictures! Yummmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll agree with Aunt Barb. And I must add, Grandma Erickson makes the absolute best Lemon Meringue Pie ever, that's my favorite. I'm going to have to try this cake out, it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachael, when you try it you must bring it over to my house so that I can test it for poisons.... I wouldn't want anything to happen to you. Hee Hee. See what a nice sister I am?!

    ReplyDelete